Thursday, December 16, 2010

What's in a Name?

Before you read this blog, listen to "Please Don't Tell Her" by Jason Mraz.
Music helps me understand my world, and after listening to this song, I understand what it's like to be the Girl with the Broadest Shoulders. I think I've been the Girl with the Broadest Shoulders for years. 
Let me explain.
"She was the girl with the broadest shoulders, but she would die before I crawled over them. She is taller than I am. She knew I wouldn't mind the view there, or the altitude with a mouth full of air. She let me down, the doubt came out, until the now became later. Say that it isn't so, how she easily come, how she easy go. Please don't tell her, cause she don't really need to know.....Please don't tell her that I've been meaning to miss her, because I don't."
The Girl with the Broadest Shoulders is no linebacker. She's just a girl. A strong, tall, beautiful girl, who is perhaps too strong for the broken hearted boy singing about her. 
I think I know how she feels. She's successful, happy, and loves life. But there's one problem. She has these broad shoulders, shoulders I assume she developed from carrying some huge responsibility she feels she has. She's carried it as long as she can remember, and it's something she'll continue to carry, because that's just who she is. Her broad shoulders will only seem to get broader each day, scaring away those boys who can't seem to see past them. 
But one day, she'll find the perfect guy, who doesn't see her as too tall or with shoulders too broad. 

Until then, the Girl with the Broadest Shoulders will continue, smiling and laughing as she does. How she easily come. How she easy go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment