Thursday, December 30, 2010

Experience the Megaplex Difference

I have worked at a movie theater for three and a half years, but recently every day feels like one day too long.  I mean, I love my job, but how many tickets or popcorns can one sell before enough is enough?
I currently work in the floor department, meaning I tell guests where to go, then clean up after them once they get there.
I sympathize with another supervisor who often has the following conversation with himself as guests leave: "How did you like the popcorn? --Oh wait, you don't know? Because you didn't eat it--you just threw it on the ground!?!"
It's moments like this that make it easy for me to put on my "Megaplex Smile" and keep coming back.
Just the other day, while helping out in concessions, I was reminded why I keep this job.
I was busy popping popcorn when I needed to run to the back room to get more nachos. I looked around and asked a semi-new concessionist, Brooke, to watch the popcorn for me. Without hesitation Brooke said yes, and that was that. Based on the surety of her answer, I assumed she knew what she was doing, and I left the stand.
When I came back a few minutes later I found Brooke, quite literally, "watching the popcorn."
The second she saw me, she began frantically waving her hands in front of her face, screaming "It's burning!! What do i do?!"
I couldn't even try to pretend to be mad.
I imagine I was having the same feeling a mom has when she finds her little kid--in the pantry--covered in peanut butter.
Too cute to yell at. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh i have those moments all the time as a supervisor. I had a kid the other day that was washing closing dishes, i brought him back the breadstick sauce container and said "make this your last dish so you don't mess up your water" 5 mins later i turn around he is no where to be found. He apparently thought i meant he could go home after he finished the dish he was currently washing while i told him to make it "his last dish" idiot boy there were still half of the dishes to do. But i found him to be super clever to interpret my words that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, Smith, that's fabulous. So glad I'm not the only one who has this happen to them!

    ReplyDelete