Monday, January 31, 2011

Did I Just Say That?!?

There are so many moments in my life I wish I could take back.
I should have come equipped with a Ctrl + Z button. Undo, undo, undo.
With the chances of this happening being highly unlikely, perhaps I should just try a little harder filtering what comes out of my mouth.

Last year in the architecture program, I had to present the concept for a bakery my partner, Elizabeth, and I designed. The format of this presentation was a jury review, meaning as a team we would present our project to a jury of four or five architects/professors/etc., who would then ask us questions and critique our design.
The group in front of us had a pretty tough review, and the jury was particularly harsh. They had designed a western hat shop, and placed their bathrooms in the dead center of their building, which the jury saw as a very big, distracting mistake.
Elizabeth and I were supposed to present right after, and I began to feel nervous. If the same topic about bathrooms was brought up, we might be in trouble for a very different reason. We only planned for one bathroom in our entire building, reserved for employees only.
Sure enough, a few minutes into our review, one of the jury members, a principal at arguably the most popular firm in Salt Lake, asked us where our public restrooms were located.
Without any filtering or thought to consequences, I said the first thing that came to my mind.
"In the hat shop."
He didn't laugh. Sure, everyone else in the room were trying desperately to suppress their giggles, but not him.
I don't think I'll be looking for work with that firm anytime soon. So much for being memorable.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Who knows - he probably will remember you and you could always tell him in an interview that you made sure after his review to always provide sufficient bathrooms in your designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I can totally picture you saying that...but I love it!!! :D

    ReplyDelete